Save an Animal
Adopting a pet
The bond between a rescue pet and their owner is incomparable. The love and gratitude they share is simply like no other. You can find a variety of adoptable pets at KAWS. Each pet has so much love to give.
Even if you don’t live on the Garden Route, you can adopt your four-legged soulmate at KAWS.
Making a Donation
We rely on generous, compassionate donors to enable us to:
- Give rescued animals a temporary home while waiting for their loving forever home. During this time, we make sure that they receive adequate medical treatment, food and a roof over their head.
- Enable us to finance our outreach projects in our fight against animal abuse and over-population
what you should know
Pet Adoption Notes
WHY YOU SHOULD ADOPT
The biggest reason to adopt, is that you’ll save a life (maybe more than just one life).
Each year, it’s estimated that more than 920 00 adoptable dogs and cats are euthanised in South Africa, simply because too many pets come into shelters and too few people consider adoption when looking for a pet.
The first few days in your home are special and critical for a pet. Your new pet will be confused about where he/she is and what to expect from you. Setting up some clear structure with your family for your pet will be paramount in making the transition as smooth as possible.
Save a Life
How to Adopt
How does the adoption process work?
- View our adorable adoptable pets.
- Fill out our Application Form. This helps us to understand what you are looking for in a pet. We know our available animals and are very skilled at suggesting animals that are likely to be a good fit for your family, if you haven’t already picked out your favourite from a photo or from meeting them at the Adoption Centre
- Meet and greet time: Our Adoption Coordinator or Kennel Manager will guide you through the facility and show you the many wonderful animals available for adoption. Where appropriate, we’ll make a date for you to bring your current dog for an introduction to the dog you’d like to adopt.
- Home Check: Once you have made your decision, KAWS will arrange for a home check. The home check helps us ensure that your home will be a good fit based on what we know about the pet, and it’s also a chance for you to ask us any questions and receive last-minute pointers before you bring your new pet home! KAWS reserves the right to decline a home, should the home not be suitable for the animal that has been applied for.
What do I need if I am interested in adopting?
- Adopters must be at least 18 years old.
- Please note that you cannot adopt an animal on behalf of someone else. All adoption applications must be completed by the person with whom the animal will be living.
- If you rent a house or apartment, we ask that you provide paperwork that states that you are allowed to have a pet.
- If you are interested in adopting a dog and you already have another dog at home, we may ask you to bring your dog along for a meet and greet with the dog you’d like to adopt. A KAWS Representative will help you with this process.
- It is very important that your current pets are up to date on vaccinations and heartworm preventives. All pets on the premises must also be sterilised.
- Please note that we are NOT able to arrange introductions or meet and greets when you adopt a cat.
- Please be sure to bring a leash and collar if you are adopting a dog or puppy, or a carrier for a cat or kitten.
Fees and pricing
ADOPTION FEE: R750
The adoption fee includes:
- the first two vaccinations
- mandatory sterilisation at 6 months (all animals above 6 months are already sterilised). Sterilisation will be done at KAWS or other approved welfare shelters if the adoption is out of our area.
Follow-up and support
There is always an adjustment period with a new pet, especially if you have other pets in your home. Knysna Animal Welfare Society can help you manage the adjustment. If you have any questions, issues, or concerns about your pet once you get home, please contact us for follow-up and support?
What if it doesn't work out?
While we work hard to ensure great matches are made between animals and their adopters, we know that circumstances sometimes require people to make the difficult choice to return their pet. We will work with adopters to welcome back any adopted animal adopted from KAWS into our care (space permitting) if the need arises. Adopters are offered a 7-day grace period post-adoption to return their pet if necessary.
There is no fee to return, but if the pet is returned after the 7-day grace period, the original adoption fee will not be refunded.
Adoption Centre and Clinic hours
ADOPTION CENTRE HOURS
Monday – Friday: 08:30 – 16:00
Saturday: 09:00 – 11:00
Monday – Friday:
09:00 – 10:00 (Vet on duty)
14:00 – 15:00 (Vaccinations, microchips and deworming only)
09:00 – 11:00
Sundays and Public Holidays:
Where we are located
https://goo.gl/maps/w7VnD1iDw77a3SyT9Knysna Animal Welfare is located at:
1 Marlin street,
What Drives Us
Knysna Animal Welfare Society’s Mission is to provide primary health care, to prevent overpopulation of dogs and cats in our community through education on the responsibilities of pet ownership with the emphasis on sterilisation, to provide a temporary shelter for stray, unwanted or homeless animals, and to maintain a vigorous adoption program that includes health screening, vaccinations and mandatory spay or neutering. All activities are in compliance with the national and municipal laws and regulations and performed by a humane and professional staff.